Ericsson recently announced its M700 mobile platform. Among its specs:
- It has peak data rates of up to 100Mbps in the downlink and up to 50Mbps in the uplink.
- It’s compatible with networks around the world, can support up to six bands, including the 700 MHz bands, and supporting bandwidths range between 1.4MHz and 20MHz.
- Silicon will arrive in 2008 and the commercial release is set for 2009.
- The first products based on the M700 will be data devices such as laptop modems, express cards and USB modems for notebooks, as well as other small-form modems suitable for consumer electronic devices.
- Products based on the platform are expected in 2010.
We have written about Ericsson’s plans in the past. The company’s LTE chipset and software solution for 700 MHz devices is already in development and will be available in mid-2009. Stacey was recently given a first-hand demo of Ericsson’s 700 MHz/LTE network.
Ericsson has more info on “HSPA, LTE and Beyond” at www.ericsson.com/ericsson/press/facts_figures/doc/hspa_lte.pdf.