Mobile media content is going centre-stage.
So much so that, in 2012, global revenue from mobile advertising and content will hit $67 billion, according to a new Strategy Analytics forecast.
That is the remainder of the firm’s total mobile media category projection of $149.8 billion, which includes a projected 9.5 percent increase in mobile data subscription sales to $82.8 billion. The details:
- App downloads will grow 38 percent to 23 billion.
- App spend will grow 30.7 percent to $26.1 billion.
- Apps will make up 18.9 percent of mobile media outlay.
- Mobile ad spend will grow 85.4 per cent to $11.6 billion.
- In-app ad sales in the US and western Europe will overtake mobile web display sales ($934.5 million).
- “Despite the huge audience of 271 million users, ad revenues from mobile video are tiny – a meagre $223 million globally in 2011.”