For most of us, sitting in the waiting room, twiddling our thumbs, is as much a part of the doctor’s visit as stepping on a scale and getting our temperature read. But, according to data released Tuesday by doctor review site Vitals, where you live can make a difference.
Nationwide, the overall average doctor wait time actually decreased slightly, from 21 minutes last year to 20 minutes and 15 seconds. But the company said the shortest average wait time increased. Last year, Wisconsin led with an average wait time of 15 minutes and 26 seconds. This year, the state with the shortest wait time is Alaska, at 16 minutes. Denver topped the list of cities with the shortest times, with a wait of 15 minutes and 25 seconds.
As more people enter the health system under the Affordable Care Act, exacerbating the country’s doctor shortage, several companies are trying to use technology to take some of the pressure off. One Medical Group and Sherpaa offer concierge-style services, which charge individuals or employers an annual fee for the opportunity to get more in-person or virtual time with doctors. To make consultations cheaper and more convenient, insurers, like Aetna and Cigna, and employers, including GE and Delta, are also supporting telehealth services, which could help alleviate the doctor shortage.
In the last year, Vitals said patients have left about one million doctor reviews on its site, 65 percent of which included wait times. The site used that data to analyze wait time trends.
- Alaska – 16 minutes, 28 seconds
- Wisconsin – 16 minutes, 29 seconds
- Minnesota – 17 minutes, 8 seconds
- New Hampshire – 17 minutes, 10 seconds
- North Dakota – 17 minutes, 43 seconds
- Mississippi – 24 minutes, 25 seconds
- Alabama – 24 minutes, 3 seconds
- Arkansas – 23 minutes, 40 seconds
- Louisiana – 23 minutes, 3 seconds
- Nevada – 23 minutes, 2 seconds
- Denver – 15 minutes, 15 seconds
- Minneapolis – 15 minutes, 44 seconds
- Milwaukee – 16 minutes, 2 seconds
- Seattle – 16 minutes, 25 seconds
- Portland – 16 minutes, 28 seconds