Apple(s appl) is expected to release a new iPad this fall, and if the leaks and rumors are true, it might be getting its biggest physical redesign since the original iPad.
MacRumors spotted some potential photos of the iPad 5’s digitizer and screen uncovered by Australian repair shop MacFixit. Here are the physical details according to the website:
- The display area is the same as the iPad Retina.
- The edges of the frame are narrower using the same style as the iPad mini.
- The ITO (Indium tin oxide) is the same as the iPad mini. [This is a screen coating that helps improve connectivity capabilities by reducing crossed signals and interference.]
- There are now 2 connectors instead of 1.
- The display connectors have been changed from FFC (Flat Flexible Cable, like the iPad 2/3/4) to FPC (Flexible Printed Circuits, like the iPhone 4/5).
These details seem to fall in line with previous reports of a redesign featuring a thinner bezel. Most interesting is the move towards the iPad mini styling, as well as the additional cable.
Of course, these images can also be complete bunk. With Apple expected to announce the iPad 5 as early as next month, we’ll know soon enough. In the meantime, check out the photos below.